Welcome to Freebie Friday! I hope you’ve enjoyed our week-long blogiversary celebration. I’ve enjoyed reading all of your heartfelt comments this week and throughout the past year. And I do read each and every one!
I love bringing you this blog five days a week, 52 weeks a year. Some might think that would be a daunting task. You have to run out of ideas sooner or later, right? Luckily, I’m constantly surrounded by inspiration. And since my introvert tendencies make me sit and stew over things, once an idea hits me, I immediately exclaim, “That could be a blog post!” And the rest is history…
Since I shared my favorite blog posts with you on Monday, today I’d like to share some editor insights on a few of our more controversial posts. Because let’s face it, I know you all like a juicy story just as much as me! And with this full disclosure, I’ll share some of my favorite reader comments. Some of them were so laugh-out-loud funny, I immediately had to forward them on to the rest of the team. And within seconds, laughter could be heard erupting from our cubicles and nearby offices. There’s some colorful PC peeps out there!
So, without further ado, here’s a few headline-making posts of 2009:
1. Birthday Idol – April 29, 2009: In honor of Susan’s birthday last year, we decided to go with an American Idol theme since she loves the show and had just joined a rock ‘n roll band. Little did I know, but I apparently offended one of her die-hard fans by making this innocent comment: “Kelly Clarkson, eat your heart out! There’s a new Idol in town.” I assure you, as a fellow Texan and fan of Kelly’s music, I was not referring to her weight at all. I was merely suggesting that Susan was the new “Idol” in Paper Crafts land.
2. Do You Like to Make Stuff – May, 26, 2009: Brandy had no idea what she was setting herself up for with this post. It began with her listing the things she likes to make: cookies, friends, cards, magazines, etc. The comment prompt to win a prize was: “What do you like to make?” Summer Braxton chimed in with: “I hope I don’t offend anyone…but I like to make whoopee with my husband…especially since he just got home from a year-long deployment.” (Summer, your comment was one I most definitely forwarded to the rest of the team! Thanks for the giggle!)
3. Gallery Idol Top 10…Coming Soon – July 17, 2009: This is probably the most painful post I had to write last year. (See finalist Jo Kill’s card below. The sentiment reads: “Sometimes Life Sucks…” And it did that day!) Long story short, I was on vacation in San Diego and had to post the Top 10 results of our Gallery Idol competition. Our webmaster was suppose to e-mail me the results over the weekend, he forgot and the inmates turned on him. Despite the drama, I loved this comment from Shanna Vineyard, who I believe was about six months pregnant at the time: “Hey Kelly! Who’s the “Nameless” webmaster so we can all come lynch him/her???? Bwahahahahha! J/K!!!!!!” I’m sure it was the hormones talking, right Shanna?
So there you have it! Just a few posts that definitely caught our attention in 2009. Hopefully in 2010 we’ll continue to bring you all the things you love, plus introduce some fun things you’ve never seen before! (And I’m sure they’ll be some juicy stories to tell a year from now!)
P.S. I almost forgot today’s giveaway! As my blogiversary gift to you, leave a comment about absolutely anything and I’ll pick three winners to receive Karen Foster’s Simple Elegance Card Creations Kit and one of our new Betty t-shirts. All comments must be received by midnight (MST) on Sunday, Feb. 7.
P.P.S. It’s time to announce the three winners from Kim Hughes’ Inspiration Journals post!
1. Jamie Greene (Feb. 3, 6:56 a.m.)
2. Julie Campbell (Feb. 3, 8:30 a.m.)
3. Victoria S. (Feb. 3, 9:52 p.m.)
Congrats, winners! You’ve each won a new BasicGrey collection and one of our Betty t-shirts. I’ll be contacting you shortly to get your mailing addresses. Thanks to all who left comments!